Saturday, December 7, 2013

DIY gifts - tile coasters

I love when I can repurpose crafty items I already own for another project! I made these tile coasters using some of my scrapbook supplies. (I love scrapbooking but haven't done it in forever! I need to get back into it because I have a whole closet full of scrapbook supplies.) I didn't make a whole tutorial for this because there are already about a million on pinterest and other blogs. I made these to put in my little booth at a local boutique.


I sold out of the neutral ones first, so I bought more scrapbook paper that looked like it would match popular home décor color palettes. I made a few templates on my computer with chevron clip art and monograms. They looked cute, but the ink ran a little. (just another reason for me to buy a color laser printer!) Here are a few things I learned in the process:

- It's better to cut the paper smaller than the flat surface. If it hangs past the flat part, it will not seal well.)
- Clear spray paint works well as a cheap sealant.
- Using a corner rounder on the paper gave them a nice "finished" look.
- Using pre-cut Felt Dots or Rubber Ones
 saves lots of time.
- Thicker cardstock is not really better....it doesn't seem to seal as well.
- Apply Mod Podge in a THIN layer under the paper to reduce bubbling, sliding, and wrinkling.

Here are some great directions for making your own!
http://chameleongirls.blogspot.com/2011/04/refurbished-tile-coasters.html

No comments: